In our culture, eggs are an every time meal, not just for breakfast or brunch. Back on the block we had them for dinner or whenever times were lean. With that in mind, the recipe given below was especially popular. It’s Huevos al Horno, or baked eggs. The eggs weren’t simply baked, they were served with a white sauce to give it a certain panache. I’ve modified the sauce by adding turmeric to it for color and enhanced flavor. Traditionally, baked eggs was served over rice or with tostones (friend green plantains) or crusty bread. Yes, it’ s thrifty meal but, done right, it becomes a banquet.
I would suggest, for this recipe, while the eggs are being boiled, prepare the white sauce and place it on low heat in the back burner while cooking the eggs. That way the sauce will be ready when the eggs are baked. Or you can prepare the sauce earlier in the day and have it ready. Whatever works for you best.
HUEVOS AL HORNO
8 hard boiled eggs
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
½ chopped bell pepper (green, red or yellow)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups basic white sauce (see below)
¼ cup grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise and reserve yolks. Set the hollow whites aside.
- In a small bowl, mix eggs and cream. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet or frying pan. Add onion, garlic and pepper. Stir-fry until tender (2-3 minutes).
- Add eggs, salt and pepper and sauté briefly.
- Stuff the hollow egg whites with the egg mixture. Arrange eggs in a baking dish.
- Spoon white sauce over eggs and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
BASIC WHITE SAUCE
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
1½ cups milk
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Blend in salt and pepper.
- Gradually add milk, stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Stir in turmeric and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Yield: About 2 cups